Haystack February 2012

English language haystack
Rasta
Gold Member

Haystack February 2012

Post by Rasta »

Eventually there will be an awakening, a balancing of the scales and a bill to be paid, and for that I hold gold - Jim Sinclair
bailouts4ever
Bronze Member

Re: Haystack February 2012

Post by bailouts4ever »

IMPORTANT READ!

Interesting read on Chinese buying gold and capital flight in China (!). Think what implications that statement has on a) the gold market and b) the Chinese economy. If capital really escapes from China they have a problem:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonchang ... s-of-gold/
0.00 € is what your account statement will show on a long enough timeline.
Rasta
Gold Member

Post by Rasta »

Eventually there will be an awakening, a balancing of the scales and a bill to be paid, and for that I hold gold - Jim Sinclair
Rasta
Gold Member

Post by Rasta »

Indiana Jones
Freegold Member

Post by Indiana Jones »

jsmineset: Employment statistics as taught by the two revered classical economists, Abbott and Costello.

COSTELLO: I want to talk about the unemployment rate in America.
ABBOTT: Good Subject. Terrible Times. It’s 8.3%.

COSTELLO: That many people are out of work?
ABBOTT: No, that’s 16%.

COSTELLO: You just said 8.3%.
ABBOTT: 8.3% Unemployed.

COSTELLO: Right 8.3% out of work.
ABBOTT: No, that’s 16%.

COSTELLO: Okay, so it’s 16% unemployed.
ABBOTT: No, that’s 8.3%…

COSTELLO: WAIT A MINUTE. Is it 8.3% or 16%?
ABBOTT: 8.3% are unemployed. 16% are out of work.

COSTELLO: IF you are out of work you are unemployed.
ABBOTT: No, you can’t count the "Out of Work" as the unemployed. You have to look for work to be unemployed.

COSTELLO: BUT THEY ARE OUT OF WORK!!!
ABBOTT: No, you miss my point.

COSTELLO: What point?
ABBOTT: Someone who doesn’t look for work, can’t be counted with those who look for work. It wouldn’t be fair.

COSTELLO: To who?
ABBOTT: The unemployed.

COSTELLO: But they are ALL out of work.
ABBOTT: No, the unemployed are actively looking for work… Those who are out of work stopped looking. They gave up and if you give up, you are no longer in the ranks of the unemployed.

COSTELLO: So if you’re off the unemployment rolls, that would count as less unemployment?
ABBOTT: Unemployment would go down. Absolutely!

COSTELLO: The unemployment just goes down because you don’t look for work?
ABBOTT: Absolutely it goes down. That’s how you get to 8.3%. Otherwise it would be 16%. You don’t want to read about 16% unemployment do ya?

COSTELLO: That would be frightening.
ABBOTT: Absolutely.

COSTELLO: Wait, I got a question for you. That means there are two ways to bring down the unemployment number?
ABBOTT: Two ways is correct.

COSTELLO: Unemployment can go down if someone gets a job?
ABBOTT: Correct.

COSTELLO: And unemployment can also go down if you stop looking for a job?
ABBOTT: Bingo.

COSTELLO: So there are two ways to bring unemployment down, and the easier of the two is to just stop looking for work.
ABBOTT: Now you’re thinking like an economist.

COSTELLO: I don’t even know what the hell I just said!
Everything that needs to be said has already been said.
But since no one was listening, everything must be said again.
bailouts4ever
Bronze Member

Post by bailouts4ever »

Is very off-topic but it's cool:

Explanation:
North Korean music students performing a-ha. Young accordeon players from KUM SONG School, filmed in Pyongyang, North Korea december 2011. Morten Traavik, a Norwegian artist, gave the five a copy of the song and quickly they have been able to perform.

First time something North Korean is somewhat interesting - if those guys continue like this they may be able to recreate the image of their country :D

Let's hope that their great leader likes a-ha!
Rasta
Gold Member

Post by Rasta »

Humorous if it weren't true.

Reuters: FBI warns of threat from anti-government extremists

(Reuters) - Anti-government extremists opposed to taxes and regulations pose a growing threat to local law enforcement officers in the United States, the FBI warned on Monday.

These extremists, sometimes known as "sovereign citizens," believe they can live outside any type of government authority, FBI agents said at a news conference.

The extremists may refuse to pay taxes, defy government environmental regulations and believe the United States went bankrupt by going off the gold standard.

Routine encounters with police can turn violent "at the drop of a hat," said Stuart McArthur, deputy assistant director in the FBI's counterterrorism division.

The next logical step is obviously to label those people as terrorists.
bailouts4ever
Bronze Member

Post by bailouts4ever »

The US authorities call these people "Constitutionalists" - particularly interesting as the word has its original in "the constitution" which the US cherish so much while at the same time the people obeying the constitution in is written form are suspicious...this movement however is, as the report states really growing.

For an extra impression watch this:

And if you want to listen to something smart and funny watch this:

Greetings.
bailouts4ever
Bronze Member

Post by bailouts4ever »

The following sequence was recorded yesterday night in Brussels during a conversation between Wolfgang Schäuble (German FinMin) and Vitor Gaspar (Portuguese FinMin).

Listen closely and you know which country is up next...

Rasta
Gold Member

Post by Rasta »

Buckle up? Guest Post: Why Is Gasoline Consumption Tanking?

"this data is interesting because it is un-manipulated, that is, it is not "seasonally adjusted" or run through some black-box modifications like so much other government data"